At Blackbridge Harley-Davidson® we help ensure you'll have many miles of trouble-free riding. Here are a few simple tasks you can do on your own to make that next journey a safe and enjoyable one!
Before riding your motorcycle at any time, do a general inspection of the entire bike to be sure it's in safe riding condition.
- Start by checking the oil and filter and inspect other fluid levels. Harley-Davidson® motorcycles are made to make oil changes easy. If you do it yourself, please don't forget the maintenance schedule.
- Check the controls to be sure they operate properly. On your list of controls to inspect: front and rear brakes, throttle, clutch and shifter. Also examine the steering for smoothness by turning the handlebars through the full operating range.
- Check tire pressure often (daily when you are touring) using a good gauge. Consult your owner's manual for correct pressure and load rating. Air pressure can change with the air temperature. While you're at it, inspect the tires. Replace them if there's less than 50 percent of the tread left, or if there's any cracks, cuts or signs of distress. Tires should be changed by your dealer.
- Check for any fuel, oil or hydraulic fluid leaks. Give the cases and lines a once over to make sure there are no leaks.
- For high-mileage bikes, inspect the drive belt, sprockets and brakes.
- Check your headlights, directionals, tail light and brake light every time you ride. Not only do they help you see where you're going, they are your best way of being seen by others. If a light is out, it is easy to change yourself. Consult your owners' manual and/or service manual for correct type and removal and replacement procedure. If replacing a headlight, be certain the beam is focused properly.
- Before you start riding, sit on your bike and take a look in the mirrors to be sure they're adjusted properly. Even if you don't think you've moved the mirrors, do a quick check just to be sure.
We will help you keep your Harley-Davidson® vehicle in pristine condition so you can get the most out of your purchase! If you have any questions or concerns about your bike, feel free to call us at (519) 893-0493 and we'll be happy to help you over the phone or assist you in making an appointment. Come talk to us about how to best maintain your investment and learn more about our available services. Call, visit, or contact us today. We're here to help.